Yesterday we started the day with some bunting. Before we even got dressed. Quite normal, isn’t it? Although not strictly Easter, bunting is a very festive and generally happy decoration for any occasion, I think.
I’ve always found our front window a little boring and have been trying to find something to cheer it up with, which at the same time is toddler-proof enough to stay in place for a while. This morning inspiration struck, and I got out all the leftover bits from my first quilt, which were too small to do anything with, but I kept them anyway. Now I know why!
I enclosed the top edges of the triangles in bias binding and sewed it all together with a quick and easy zig zag stitch. I attached ribbon to the ends of the bunting to be able to tie it in place – voila. Makes me happy – and will hopefully make visitors feel welcome too.
Something more Easter-y, that made Kaya happy yesterday was this little bunny. I found a very clever tutorial on crafting these clever bunnies from baby socks here. I used a single toddler sock, so the bunny is somewhat taller than a baby sock one. I added a little nose, eyes and a tummy button (bunny essentials). Another little craft project finished before lunch.
I couldn’t take any proper photos of the bunny, because he had to accompany Kaya everywhere. He wouldn’t let bunny out of his sight. They ate, played, and slept togehter. Love at first sight, I’d say.
I wish though that Kaya had some more single socks…… He might have grown out of some of his socks by tomorrow, what do you think?
Later we finally got round to doing some Easter eggs. I didn’t want to end up with loads of blown-out egg insides, so I’ve been blowing out eggs whenever I used them in the kitchen (“You want scrambled egg? Hang on, let me just blow one out.”).
Kaya tried his luck as well.
The idea from doodling on the egg comes from this tutorial. For the other one I tried onion skin for the first time. In the past I’ve always used shop bought natural dyes, but this year I wanted to try doing it myself. I found some good tips here and here.
I used red onion skins for two eggs, one turned out amazing (see above), the other one didn’t look much different than before. Encouraged, I tried another badge with similar results. I’d wrapped onion skins around the blown out eggs and secured them with rubber bands the first time round, but the second time they wouldn’t stay on, so I sacrificed my only pair of nylon stockings.
Anyway, afterwards I realized I’d forgotten to add vinegar. Both times. I’m not sure what that means for my eggs, but I hope the good ones will stay nice and the not-so-exciting ones will get a second chance tomorrow with beetroots and vinegar!